Alabama - gricketts
Powered by SmugMug Log In

Town of Highlands—Birmingham, Alabama

The area known as Five Points South was originally developed as one of Birmingham, Alabama’s first streetcar suburbs. It was the Town of Highlands from 1887 to 1893 before becoming a part of the City of Birmingham.

Five streets converge, creating five points instead of four corners. The streetcar lines served as transportation lanes to downtown Birmingham, industrial work sites, and entertainment areas.

The original streetcars were pulled by mules with an extra mule waiting at 8th Avenue to pull the car up to the Five Points Circle. The mules gave way to steam and then in 1891 to electricity. By 1920, lines radiated out in all directions.

Available only as a 16x24 limited edition print in Lustre Finish. Contact Photographer for more information.

AlabamaBirminghamBuildingGary Rickettsgrickettsgricketts.comHDRPhotography by Gary RickettsSculptureSmugmugStatueTownHighlandsWinner