Cave Church—Budapest, Hungary
This cave on Gellert Hill was originally home to Saint Istvan, a hermit monk who cured the sick with thermal waters that flowed in front of the cave.
In 1926, the cave was expanded and the Cave Church founded. During the 1930’s, the Archbishop of Kaloca enlarged the cave further to hold more worshippers, using the grotto at Lourdes as a model.
In 1951, the Communist secret police arrested all of the Pauline monks, and the superior, Ferenc Vezer, was condemned to death. The other monks received prison sentences of five to ten years. The church was sealed with a seven foot thick concrete wall, and stood hidden and silent for nearly forty years.
When Communism fell in 1989, the Cave Church was returned to the Paulite order, and immediately reopened.