Garden of the Gods—Colorado Springs, Colorado
In 1859, when gold was discovered in Colorado, two surveyors from Denver City set out to establish a townsite now known as Colorado City. The two stumbled upon a beautiful area of sandstone formations. One of the men suggested it was a "capital place for a beer garden". His companion responded, " Beer garden? Why this is a fit place for the Gods to assemble". The beer garden never came about, but the name - Garden of the Gods took hold.
In 1909, the Garden of the Gods was conveyed to the City of Colorado Springs, "Where it shall remain free to the public, where no intoxicating liquors shall be manufactured, sold, or dispensed, where no building or structure shall be erected except those necessary to properly care for, protect, and maintain the area as a public park.