The cross sits atop the cave church on Gellert Hill. The Paulite order of monks reside at the church.
In 1951, the Communist secret police arrested all of the Pauline monks, and the superior, Ferenc Vezer, was condemned to death. The other monks received prison sentences of five to ten years. The church was sealed with a seven foot thick concrete wall, and stood hidden and silent for nearly fourty years.
When Communism fell in 1989, the Cave Church was returned to the Paulite order, and immediately reopened.