The bridge was opened in 1896 during the Millennium celebrations by Emperor Franz Joseph. The Emperor personally hammered the last silver nail into the iron structure on the Pest side. The bridge was named Franz Joseph in his honor.
On January 16, 1945, the retreating German Wehrmacht attempted to destroy the bridge, but only damaged the central section of the bridge. It was the first Budapest bridge reconstructed. It reopened for traffic on August 20, 1946 as the renamed Liberty Bridge.
This photograph is received an Honorable Mention in a photo contest sponsored by the New York Intstitute of Photography.