The area known as Five Points South was originally developed as one of Birmingham, Alabama’s first streetcar suburbs. It was the Town of Highlands from 1887 to 1893 before becoming a part of the City of Birmingham.
Five streets converge, creating five points instead of four corners. The streetcar lines served as transportation lanes to downtown Birmingham, industrial work sites, and entertainment areas.
The original streetcars were pulled by mules with an extra mule waiting at 8th Avenue to pull the car up to the Five Points Circle. The mules gave way to steam and then in 1891 to electricity. By 1920, lines radiated out in all directions.