On Holy Ground - gricketts
Powered by SmugMug Log In

Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church—Homewood, Alabama

In 1887, Father James A. Meurer was assigned to establish a parish for German-speaking workers in Birmingham, Alabama. Father Meurer built the first Our Lady of Sorrows church, where he served until his death in 1906.

Following Father Meurer’s death, Father Louis H. Galland became pastor of Our Lady of Sorrows, and continued the tradition of preaching in both English and German.

The origin of the name of the church comes from the Sevite friars who were devoted to the sufferings of Mary. In 1668, the friars were granted a feast to be held on the third Sunday in September, known as the Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows or as the Feast of the Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Father James Meurer was not a member of any order, and it is not clear how the name, Our Lady of Sorrows, was chosen for the parish.

AlabamaBirminghamchurchGary Rickettsgrickettsgricketts.comPhotography by Gary RickettsOurLadySorrowsCatholicCapturing History Through PhotographyReligionholy ground