Located in the northwest La Rioja province in northern Spain, the town of Haro is know for its fine red wine. Its other claim to fame is that Haro was the first town in Spain to have electric street lighting.
The first mention of Haro was in the year 1040, in a document of the King of Navarre, who ruled a kingdom occupying lands on either side of the Pyrenees mountains that today forms a natural border border between France and Spain.
Haro has an important architectural heritage, which includes the work of Felipe Vigarny who designed the main entrance of the the Santo Tomás Church. The old town section of Haro was declared a Historic Artistic Site in 1975.